This shot was done specifically to address a particularly disturbing trend. The darkness that is about to befall our country if the govt does allow such a business to start operating in Singpaore. I fear in the degrading morals that it promotes and the fundamental of the business itself is totally wrong. The more worrisome issue is that there are over 21million users who are supporting the wrong ethics. Just exactly what is wrong with our society and humanity.
The struggle in the moving greys fighting the engulfing blacks with a tinge of white just blasting through the back of the buildings. All of these signifies in itself a certain object in our society. I leave these for your interpretation but ultimately my thoughts and opinions are put through in this photo.
This image was taken specifically at sunrise because the sun was on the right side and I knew that at that angle, there will be some shadow casting. And I wanted it to go into long exposure with the aid of 6 stop ND filter so that there will be slight drama in the clouds.
The shot was process with numerous layers of masks and curves.
1) Do the global adjustments in PS Raw Editor
2) Convert to B&W with Nik Silver Efex -> Neutral (N), Underexposed (UE) and Overexposed (OE) layers. So now you will be working with 3 layers.
3) Put the UE above the N layer then mask out the areas that u want as darks. Use curves for further enhancement. I estimate I decreased the darks by about 0.5-0.7EV
4) The OE will be the most bottom layer. Then mask on the N layer and slowly mask out the areas u want to be brights. Similarly use curves for further brightening the brights by about +0.3-0.5ev
5) Merge the layers that can be seen. Then apply vignetting on top and bottom of the whole image
6) Sharpen and post.
I had about 20-30 layers and was just working with creativity and a vision that I had of the final image. The idea that I had while processing was really simple.
-I wanted darks on the top and bottom to signify this approaching effect of bad influences on society
-I specifically let the clouds have this slight drama to signify the struggle against such bad influence
-The buildings are in variety of pure darkness, semi or brights. Which signifies the different degree of influence it has on society.
God, I thank you for the many blessings you have given upon me in these few weeks.
Settings: ISO 100, f11, 30s
Equipment – Nikon D7000 + Tokina 11-16
Accessories – N1004 + G20 + Haida 6 stop
Place – Merlion (opp Fullerton Hotel)